As a Youth Work Volunteer you will:
- Help facilitate our in-person group workshops with young people.
- Collaborate with and support a Youth & Family Coordinator.
- Provide support in schools across Edinburgh and East Lothian.
- Support and facilitate children and young people in group settings to build their confidence, allow their voice to be heard and make informed choices.
- Help coordinators facilitate groups with young people.
- Engage with children and young people and empower them to share their ideas and work together.
- Take part in regular meetings with the coordinator to plan creative activities and develop new ideas.
Skills & qualities needed
- Good communication, teamwork and organisational skills.
- Friendly, positive attitude.
- Ability to adapt .
- Non-judgemental and respectful of confidentiality.
- Patient, empathetic and understanding of the needs of children and young people.
- Flexible, reliable, and punctual.
- Clear sense of personal boundaries and confidentiality.
- A PVG membership and reference checks will be required before volunteering can take place. This is arranged and paid for by People Know How.
We try to be as flexible as possible in terms of full/part time availability and for volunteering to be able to fit around your current lifestyle. However, we do ask for a minimum of 3 months commitment (preferably a year) and a minimum of 2 hours per week within the hours of 9am- 6pm.
What we can provide
- Relevant experience and training to develop your skills.
- Access to our volunteer network to get to know other volunteers.
- A friendly and supportive atmosphere so you can achieve your goals.
- Work references for all successful volunteers – build your CV.
- Volunteering experience.
Support & training
- The volunteer will receive full induction training to familiarise themselves with the charity and volunteer procedures.
- The volunteer will receive role-specific training where the role and any safeguarding procedures will be explained.
- The volunteer will be given regular one-to-one guidance and support. During this support, any relevant training that may be required will be identified and the volunteer will be offered suitable training to meet their needs.
Expectations of volunteers
- Willingness to abide by People Know How’s policies, including Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy.
- Willingness to use support systems.
- Co-operation with administrative tasks e.g. filling in expenses forms.
- Commitment to attend ongoing training and participate in our VIP (Volunteer, Interns and Placement Students) community.
Location of volunteering
Schools and other various locations throughout Edinburgh and East Lothian including our canal boat.
If you are interested about this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org