Community Growing Space Volunteer
Fresh Start is an Edinburgh-based charity that helps people who have been homeless to settle into their new home and local community.
Purpose of the Volunteer Role
We are looking for volunteers to work in our growing spaces in several locations across the city. The aim of the growing spaces is to offer volunteering opportunities to both our service users and the wider community through informal and supportive gardening sessions.
No formal knowledge or experience is required, a willingness to learn and share is more important. Produce from the growing spaces is used in our cooking classes and donated to local food banks. This volunteering post will involve outdoor physical activity.
- Maintain the garden, growing space and grassed areas (weeding, mowing the grass etc.)
- Plant vegetables and harvest them throughout the year
- Offer participants in the project a relaxed and supportive environment in which to explore the joys of gardening
- Working within a mixed ability group to share knowledge and learn from each other.
Carry out tasks as designated by the Volunteer Coordinator
- Engaging with clients and supporting them to learn basic gardening and DIY skills, including mentoring them through an introductory course in organic gardening where appropriate.
- Adhering to all Fresh Start policies and procedures, and respecting client confidentiality
Skills and Personal Qualities
- An interest in gardening/horticulture
- Basic DIY skills or willingness to learn
- A good reliable team worker, enthusiastic, and able to engage well with others
- In good health and physically active
What Fresh Start Can Offer
- Appropriate training, induction and support
- The chance to make a positive difference
- The chance to grow fresh produce for those that can’t afford it
- The chance to make new friends and have an enjoyable volunteering experience
- Volunteer events and other ways to get involved with the charity
- Out of pocket expenses for travel where appropriate
Time Commitment and Location
We run gardening sessions at various locations across the city from Monday to Thursday. There is no opportunity as yet to volunteer at the weekend. We ask that you commit to a minimum of 4 hours of volunteering per month. Please note that we ask for a minimum commitment of at least 3 months of volunteering.
Supported by – Fresh Start Volunteer Coordinator
For more information please contact Adrienne at Fresh Start on 0131 476 7741 or email email@example.com
Related Jobs (2)
Part time and relief Support worker roles – Edinburgh and the Lothians on January 13, 2023 Flexible Part Time