Modern Apprenticeship – Healthcare Support Worker Level 3
Employer: NHS Lothian
Location: District Nursing, North West Edinburgh
NHS Lothian is responsible for meeting the health needs of circa 800,000 people living in and around Edinburgh and the Lothians. We employ approximately 27,000 staff and provide a comprehensive range of primary, community and acute care services for the populations of Edinburgh, Midlothian, East Lothian and West Lothian. Across all areas of care, we seek to provide specialist and general services fairly and efficiently and to the highest standards. NHS Lothian offers excellent career prospects and a wide range of job opportunities for potential employees. NHS Lothian is proud to offer all staff members opportunities for training and development as well as excellent staff benefits.
What might a day in this job look like?
As part of a multidisciplinary team you will:
- Carry out personal care duties for patients in support of and supervised by registered nurses.
- Carry out assigned duties to maintain Activities of Daily Living for patient care.
- Carry out / administers simple dressings using both sterile and non sterile techniques, as per Treatment Plan.
- Undertake associated clerical and patient centred duties, under supervision of registered nursing staff.
- To plan home visits and reorganise / reprioritise own workload according to patient need without direct supervision.
- Ensure infection control measures are maintained at all time; this will involve daily cleaning of the clinical area.
- Maintenance of stock levels of supplies and housekeeping duties.
- Communicate effectively with patients, relatives and team members across the organisation.
- Be responsible for your own actions and ensure they are in line with the NHS Lothian values and policies.
What will I learn?
- How to maintain high standards of patient care within defined resources.
- Gain SVQ Level 2 Healthcare (Clinical) and embed the learning into practise
- Underpinning knowledge units including: Digital, Working in the Health Sector, Human Body and Medical Terminology.
- Establish a rapport with the multidisciplinary team and gain the confidence of the patients and their families.
- Ensuring patient safety at all times.
- Managing self within a complex dynamic clinical environment.
- Maintaining skill and knowledge level in clinical competencies and core skills.
- How to address the equality and diversity needs of patients and staff.
- Key employability skills.
What Qualifications / Qualities are required?
- National 4 or above in English and Maths or Core Skills at Level 4 within alternative qualification.
- 17 – 24 years of age (or up to 29 if you have a disability/care experienced)
- Effective team player.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Passion for working in a healthcare environment.
- Understand and possess the NHS Lothian Values: NHS Lothian Values
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to completing the Modern Apprenticeship Programme.
- Ability to carry out delegated responsibilities within a dynamic clinical environment.
To be successful in progressing to interview for this role, completing a great application is vital. For more guidance on how to complete an NHS Scotland application form please do watch the guidance video NHS Scotland Online Applications
Advert will close: Friday 27th May 2022
For full details of this position and to apply please click here.
Related Jobs (8)
Three exciting opportunities at Social Care Alba, Edinburgh on June 13, 2022