Hit Squad Volunteer
Fresh Start is an Edinburgh-based charity that helps people who have been homeless get established in their new home. The Hit Squad service works with clients in thier new tenancy after being homeless.
Purpose of the Volunteer Role
Hit Squad volunteers provide practical decorating support to help clients turn their new house into a home. This is a physically demanding role at times. Working in teams of volunteers alongside the client, up to two rooms will be decorated and the client will gain painting experience and valuable social interaction. Our volunteers are crucial to helping clients feel settled in their accommodation and connected to their community.
- Assist in the preparation of rooms for decorating – emptying and clearing rooms, cleaning, sanding surfaces, lining walls etc
- Painting of ceilings, walls and woodwork
- Liaising with the Volunteer Coordinator about the job, the client, any issues etc.
- Engaging with the client and supporting the client to learn decorating skills
- Adhering to all Fresh Start policies and procedures, and respecting client confidentiality
Skills and Personal Qualities
- Basic painting and decorating skills
- A good team worker, enthusiastic, and able to engage with clients
- In good health and physically active
- Aged 18 or over
- Reliable with good communication skills
- Current email address
What Fresh Start can offer
- The appropriate training, induction and support
- The chance to make a real difference to a client’s life
- The chance to make new friends and have an enjoyable volunteering experience
- Gaining first-hand knowledge of the issues surrounding homelessness
- Travel and out-of-pocket expenses paid, and work references if required
- Volunteer events and other ways to get involved with the charity
Time Commitment and Location
Minimum of one day per month for a full day: 9.30am – 4.30pm Monday to Friday. We ask that you commit to the full day of volunteering. Please note we ask for a minimum commitment of at least three months of volunteering.
The Hit Squads take place in tenants’ homes Edinburgh wide. Volunteers start their volunteering day from our bases in North and West Edinburgh.
Due to working unsupervised with vulnerable adults, we may ask you to provide us with information relevant to the role and you will be required to have a Disclosure Scotland check. Fresh Start will cover the cost. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer this role to volunteers with certain health issues or additional support needs.
For more information please contact Fresh Start on 0131 476 7741 or email email@example.com
Related Jobs (2)
Part time and relief Support worker roles – Edinburgh and the Lothians on January 13, 2023 Flexible Part Time