St Jude’s Laundry, part of the Forth Sector Group, is a commercial laundry in Edinburgh founded by Capability Scotland in 1963. A Royal Warrant Holder since 1985, the business provides a high quality hand-finished laundry service to the hospitality sector and discerning customers. Our laundry operates as a supported business and is staffed by individuals with mental health, physical or learning difficulties. We are a company who pride ourselves on our standards and professionalism within the hospitality industry.
St Jude’s Laundry is in search of a Laundry Assistant to join our laundry team.
The job would be for up to 3 months paid at the national living wage. A successful applicant would be expected to start immediately after appointment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To operate machinery to clean/dry laundry.
- To follow laundry procedures to ensure a high quality laundry service.
- To work in each area of the laundry, including check-in, the washroom and packing.
- To work in check in ensuring laundry check in procedures are followed and laundry counted and recorded in line with procedures.
- To provide consistent quality of ironing using rotary ironer.
- To pack clean laundry, as required, for return to customers ensuring correct quantities are dispatched and recorded in line with established procedures.
- To ensure systems for identifying different customers’ laundry are operated correctly.
- To assist with routine cleaning of the laundry and laundry equipment and machinery.
- Contribute to the overall achievement of Forth Sector’s mission and objectives.
- Undertake such training and personal development as may be required to provide an effective service and to ensure compliance with the law or contractual requirements, and, where appropriate, share training expertise with colleagues.
- Attend and participate in team meetings.
- Actively participate with own supervision and appraisal.
To undertake any further training as identified in the Shaw Trust review procedures.
Ensure that safe working practices are followed in respect of COSHH and other Risk Assessment control measures.
Employees must comply with the provisions of ‘The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974’ and must take reasonable care for the health and safety of themselves and of other persons who may be affected by their acts of omissions whilst at work. Employees are also required to co-operate with their employer to enable them to perform or comply with any statutory provisions. The Trust’s efforts to promote a safe and healthy working environment can only succeed with the full co-operation of its employees.
To understand, comply with and promote Shaw Trust’s safeguarding policy and procedures. It is the responsibility of all employees to make the working environment safe and secure for all. Everyone must adhere to the 5 Rs in relation to possible abuse: Recognition, Response, Reporting, Recording and Referral. The Trust can only ensure its dedication to the protection of vulnerable people with the full cooperation of its employees.
The Trust has a Diversity and Inclusion Policy and it is the responsibility of all staff to comply with this. The key responsibilities for staff under this Policy are set out in the Trust Code of Conduct.
To maintain the confidentiality about clients, staff and other Trust business. The work is of a confidential nature and information gained must not be communicated to other persons except in the recognised course of duty. The post holder must meet the requirements of the Data Protection Act at all times.
To maintain awareness of risk and to take personal responsibility for ensuring that the Trust is not unnecessarily exposed to risk. To report any issues or concerns relating to risk and the effectiveness of the Trust’s risk management arrangements.
Be aware of, promote and implement Shaw Trust’s Risk, Quality and Information Security Management Systems.
To report to line manager, or other appropriate person, in the event of awareness of bad practice.
Recycle and manage energy within your environment in line with Shaw Trust’s Strategic aim to adopt green approaches and become carbon neutral.
This job description is intended to provide a broad outline of the main duties and responsibilities only. The post holder will need to be flexible in developing the role in conjunction with the line manager. The post holder may be asked to carry out any other delegated duty or task that is in line with their post.
For any questions and to apply, please email your CV to Shift.email@example.com indicating that you are interested in this role.