Position: Assistant Technical Manager
Reporting to: Technical Manager
Responsible for: Maintenance team (5 members)
Purpose of role: The Assistant Technical Manager role is an exciting new position at Camera Obscura & World of Illusions. This is an integral, wide-ranging role assisting the Technical Manager in every aspect of managing the Maintenance department, including supporting the team and liaising on development planning and project management.
The Package: A competitive salary of £27,500 – £29,500 | Discretionary company pension contribution – currently 10% | Discretionary annual bonus | In-service life insurance | 29 days Holiday | Company Sick Pay Scheme | Staff discounts in shop
You will also benefit from an extensive Employee Assistance Programme and NHS approved wellness app for mental health | All relevant training provided as necessary.
Hours: 40hr week. Five days out of seven Monday to Sunday.
Camera Obscura & World of Illusions, Edinburgh
The Camera Obscura opened in 1853; our company has been running the attraction since 1977. Unique, interactive and fun, we have five exhibition floors with a variety of exhibits and experiences inspired by science, art, history and optical illusion. We run daily demonstrations of the Victorian Camera Obscura, offer spectacular views from our rooftop terrace and have an on-site gift shop. As a listed building without a lift, access to all floors is by stairs only.
Our attraction appeals to all ages and all nationalities and we aim to deliver an exceptional, five star, world class visitor experience. We are in the top five most visited paid entry attractions in Scotland.
Visitor Centres Ltd owns and operates Camera Obscura & World of Illusions, Landmark Forest Adventure Park and Landmark Press in Carrbridge and Inveraray Jail in Argyll.
- Exhibit operation maintenance and upkeep
- Daily reactive maintenance of all areas of the attraction, premises and PPE
- Planned preventative maintenance of all areas of the attraction
- Liaising with colleagues, suppliers and contractors
- Team leading and project management
- Improving current exhibits and developing new ones
- Setting an example of great customer care and visitor interaction
- Occasional large-scale renovation projects
- Improvement of our systems
- Deputising for the Technical Manager as required
To ensure the department plays its full role in enabling the attraction to deliver a relaxed, fun, safe, and educational day for all our visitors. To guarantee a fun, friendly, happy and rewarding work environment for staff. Our staff are our greatest asset and we do our best to look after them and make Camera Obscura a great place to work.
Building and Exhibit Maintenance
Maintaining and improving the safety, quality and functionality of the building and exhibits in order to maintain our five star visitor experience. Constructing and maintaining the premises and exhibits is largely completed in-house from our on-site workshop. The team’s collective knowledge covers programming, electronics, mechanics, joinery, and design. Alongside liaising with external contractors the team works effectively within our unique limitations:
- Tight install / maintenance times out with opening hours.
- Wear and tear of hands on exhibits.
- Operating within a listed building across 8 levels without a lift.
The role requires basic handyman skills in all areas, as well as an awareness of visitor experience and an eye for detail. The candidate is expected to tackle any maintenance job required and act as a fully competent member of the maintenance team, providing sick / holiday cover or extended hours as necessary (with time in lieu provided).
- Ensuring high standards of record keeping and documentation.
- Managing the electronic project management software to schedule tasks.
- Researching and implementing better ways of working including reviewing current, and or, adopting new KPIs.
New Exhibit Development
Alongside our Technical Designer, the team also works on improving current exhibits and developing new ones. Ideally the candidate will contribute to:
- The improvement of current exhibits.
- Design of new exhibits.
- Large-scale design changes.
A large part of the role involves Health & Safety and HRM in conjunction with our supporting H&S / HRM consultants RBS Mentor, Senior Management, HODs and other staff.
- Training, mentoring and coaching the team to give best performance.
- Managing grievance / disciplinary procedures and day to day issues.
- Active role in maintaining a happy work-life balance for staff using all available resources to ensure staff retention and good recruiting results.
Health and Safety
- Risk assessments, fire prevention, development of and operation of all emergency procedures and crisis management.
- Inspections, certifications and all compliance.
- Incident procedure and investigations.
- Team leading and/or management experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- IT/computing proficiency above basic levels: Microsoft suite, project management software.
- Administration and Organisational skills.
- Broad basic skills in: electrical, joinery, painting and decorating, plumbing.
- Experience in exhibition design, creation and/or manufacturing.
- Knowledge of technical drawing software and basic programming skills.
- Enthusiastic and confident with the ability to motivate a team, communicate with other departments and develop working relationships with colleagues and contractors.
- A keen eye for detail.
- Pro-active and able to use own initiative.
- A creative problem-solver able to develop solutions to deadlines, with a thorough understanding of business requirements.
- Passionate about the visitor experience.
- An interest in and understanding of exhibition design.
- Professional in approach and able to confidently articulate ideas.
- Reasonably fit, and physically able to carry out the duties as specified.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £27,500.00-£29,500.00 per year
If you are interested in this role please click here to apply.
Related Jobs (4)
Guide – Camera Obscura & World of Illusions, Edinburgh on June 17, 2022 Fixed Term Full Time